- July 1, 2003 - present Professor, Food Engineering, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- July 1, 2000-03 Associate Professor, Food Engineering, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- Aug., 1995-00 Assistant Professor, Food Engineering, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 1994-1995 Assistant Professor, Food and Biomaterial Engineering, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD.
- 1992-present Adjunct Professor in the Department of Food Science and Technology, and Department of Agricultural Engineering at the Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax, NS, Canada.
- 1991-1994 Assistant Professor of Food Engineering, Department of Food Science and Technology, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada.
- April 1991-Aug. 1991 Postdoctoral Fellow, Cereal Chemistry & Technology Group, Department of Crop Science and Plant Ecology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK.
- 1982-1985 Lecturer, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, Hunan, China.
- 1987-1991 Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada.
- 1985-1987 M.S., Agricultural Engineering, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada.
- 1978-1982 B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Central-South University of Technology, Changsha, Hunan, China.
MAJOR RESEARCH RESPONSIBILITY AND HONORS
- Principal Investigator (PI) of a multi-institutional team supported by USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture for five years to advance scientific basis and engineering solutions to ensure microbial safety of frozen and refrigerated meals in retail markets. The team consists of scientists from WSU, University of Tennessee, North Carolina State University, US Army Natick Soldier Center and USDA ARS Eastern Regional Center (current budget $1 M/year from a competitive grant).
- 2001- present Director of Microwave Sterilization Consortium. The consortium consists of WSU, Nestle, Pepsi-Cola, General Mills, Hormel, Bush Brothers, Print-Pack, Rexam Containers, Del Monte, Ocean Beauty Seafood, AmeriQual, and Wornick Foods. Developed and patented a single-mode 915 MHz water immersion microwave sterilization technology for production of high quality shelf-stable packaged foods for military and civilian use; received FDA approval for microwave sterilization process for pre-packaged foods (a homogenous food: mashed potato in trays) on Oct. 07, 2009 - first ever in USA for industrial mivrowave sterilization process, and received FDA approval of our second process (for a non-homogenous food: salmon fillets in pouches) on Dec. 15, 2010. The outcomes of the research established scientific, enigineering, and regulatory foundations for commercial application of this new technology.
- 2002-08 Washington State University IMPACT Research Fellow of Food Processing Technology – one of three IMPACT fellows.
- 2000-07 Director of Research Consortium on Nonchemical Postharvest Control of Insect Pests in Fruits and Nuts by Electromagnetic Energy. Consortium members include scientists from four USDA research stations in Washington, California, Texas, Hawaii, and scientists from University of California, Davis, Israel Citrus Board and Agricultural Research Organization.
- 2004 NASA Summer Faculty Fellow with Advanced Food System in Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX - working on package and processing solutions for long-duration manned space missions.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2010 FDA Acceptance of Microwave Sterilization Process for Packed salmon Fillets in Pouch (12-15-2010) filed by my laboratory - the first FDA accepted filing for microwave sterilization of packaged low acid non-homogenous foods in USA.
- 2010 Research and Development Award by the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) for Development of FDA Accepted Microwave Sterilization Process. IFT is the largest international professional organization for food related research and the food industry with over 20,000 members worldwide.
- 2009 FDA Acceptance of Microwave Sterilization Process for Packaged Mashed Potato (10-07-09) filed by my laboratory - the first ever for microwave sterilization of packaged low acid foods in USA. Only three new food processing technologies received FDA approval over the past 20 years in USA.
- 2008 Anjan Bose Outstanding Researcher Award, College of Engineering and Architecture, WSU.
- 2005 Distinguished Food Engineering Professor, Southern Yangtze University (SYU), Wuxi, China (SYU selects only one outstanding food engineer worldwide per year to visit and lecture at SYU for one month).
- 2005 Graduate and Professional Student Outstanding Advisor Award (one of two awardees at WSU in 2005), Washington State University Graduate and Professional Student Association.
- 2004 ASAE Superior Paper Award.
- 2004 NASA Faculty Fellow, Advanced Food Technology Program, Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX.
- 2004 Outstanding Research Faculty, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU.
- 2003 USDA Secretary’s Honor Award (the highest honor award from USDA) for increasing the efficiency, security, sustainability, and profitability of the fruit and vegetable industry through applications of the technologies developed.
- 2002 Award for Excellence, Northeastern Regional Association of State Agricultural Experimental Station Directors.
- 2002 Faculty Excellence in Research Award, College of Agriculture and Home Economics, WSU.
- 2001 ASAE Superior Paper Award (<2.5% of published papers in the Trans. of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers and Applied Agric. Engineering in 2000).
- 1994 George F. Stewart International Research Paper Competition Award (1st place) from the Institute of Food Technologists.
- 1993 George F. Stewart International Research Paper Competition Award (one of three finalists) from the Institute of Food Technologists.
- 1987/88, 1988/89, 1989/90 Graduate Scholarships, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
- 1987 Distinguished Thesis (<5% theses received this rating), University of Guelph, Canada.
- 1986/87, 1987/88 William Fellowships (<5% graduate students received this merit based fellowship), University of Guelph, Canada.
- Major advisor of 27 Ph.D. students (16 have graduated and now work as research scientists or faculty members at major US companies or universities), 3 M.S. students, 30 post-doctoral research associates, and 6 visiting professors at Washington State University. Major advisor of two M.S. students at the Technical Universities of Nova Scotia, Canada. Served on graduate committees for 20 Ph.D. students and 8 MS students at Washington State University. Graduate students in my group received 3 national awards, 5 regional awards, and one university award over the past 8 years for their research activities.
- Taught BsysE 215, BsysE Professional Development (2 times, developed by J.Tang), AgTM/FSHN 434 Agricultural Processing Labs (7 times, developed by J.Tang), BsysE 487/587 Food Plant Design (2 times, significantly modified), BsysE584 Thermal processing (5 times, developed by J. Tang), 45%of BsysE 581 Advanced Physical Properties of Foods (4 times, developed by Tang), 75% of BsysE 311 Senior Project Design (1 time) at WSU. Average course evaluation at WSU: 4.57 (out of 5). Advisor of certified undergraduate students in food engineering.
- Taught 300- to 400-level (3rd and 4th year) undergraduate courses: Food Engineering I (3 times), Food Engineering II (2 times), Food Processing Technology I (3 times), and part of Food Commodities I (3 times) at Acadia University, (NS, Canada). All were three semester credit courses (3 h lecture and 3 h lab per week). My average course evaluation scores were 6.27 (scale categories: 7-outstanding, 6-excellent, 5-high average, 4-average, .. 1-very poor).
- Taught a 400-level undergraduate course in Agricultural Processing at South Dakota State University. Evaluation score was 6.16 (same scale as above).
- Designed and supervised student labs using pilot-scale equipment for dehydration, centrifugation, filtration, size reduction, MF&UF membrane separation, IQF and plate freezing, heating, pressing and packaging units.
- Total multi-millions as PI and CO-PI, including one grant from Department of Defense (DoD) Dual Use Scientific and Technology (DUST) for Food Processing Technologies (one of three in the USA ever), eight contracts from US Army Natick Soldier Center, four grants from USDA National Research Initiative Competitive (NRICGP) (<17% success rate), one consortium grant from USDA President’s Initiative for Future Agriculture and Food Systems (IFAFS) program (<8.5% success rate), two USDA National Needs grants, one BARD grant (<15% success rate in Israel), and two NSERC grants (prestigious in Canada).
- Division Editor, International Journal of Agricultural and Biological Systems Engineering (2008-)
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Food Engineering (2004-).
- Associate Editor, J. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Food & Process Engineering Institute of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (2000-).
- Associate Editor, Transactions of the ASAE, Food & Process Engineering Institute of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (2000-).
- Contributing Editor, Advances in Agricultural Science and Technology Series Vol. 1: Advances in Bioprocessing Engineering (1998-2002).
- AIChE Journal
- Applied Engineering in Agriculture
- Agricultural Engineering Research
- Canadian Agricultural Engineers
- Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering
- Cereal Chemistry
- Drying Technology
- Innovative Food Science and Technologies
- Food Science and Technology (LWT)
- International Journal of Food Properties
- Journal of American Society for Horticultural Science
- Journal of Food Engineering
- Journal of Food Process Engineering
- Journal of Food Science
- Journal of Economic Entomology
- Journal of Postharvest Biology and Technology
- Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer
- Journal of Liquid Molecules
- Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy
- Transactions of the ASAE
- Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission.
- Center for International Security Affairs at Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM.
- Collaboration in Basic Science and Engineering (COBASE) Program, The National Academies (National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine).
- USDA NRICGP 71.1 Food Characterisation/Process/Products Section.
- USDA NRICGP 51.7 Biologically Based Pest Management Section.
- USDA Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program.
- Research and Strategic Grant Programs, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
- International Microwave Power Institute
Member (1995-1998, 2004-), Board of Governors (2005-), President-Elect (2008)
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
- Technical Paper Awards Committee, Food & Process Engineering Institute of ASAE (1999 -present; Chair, 2000-01)
- Publication Committee, Food & Process Engineering Institute of ASAE (2000-; Chair, 2001-02)
- Food Processing Committee (1991-94, 2000- )
- Physical Properties Committee (1991-94, 2000- )
- ASAE Standard Committee (2001- )
- ASAE Technical Paper Awards Committee (2003-)
- Organizer of technical sessions on microwave and radio frequency heating at ASAE annual meetings (1999- )
- Institute of Food Technologists
- International Division (1991- )
- Food Packaging Division (2004-)
- Food Engineering Division (1991- , Executive Officer, 2007-, Secretary 2008)
- The Institute for Thermal Processing Specialists
- Graduate Paper Competition Committee (1999- )
- International Association for Food Protection (2006-)
- Association of Oversee Chinese Agricultural, Biological and Food Engineers
- President (2004-05), Board of Directors (2002- ), Organizing Committee (2001)
- Chair of Meetings and Conference Committee (2002-04)
- Co-Chair, Chemical Engineering and Biological Systems Engineering Committee (2007)
- Chair, Promotion and Tenure Advisory Committee. College of Agriculture and Home Economics, WSU (2004-05).
- Chair, Graduate Committee, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU (2004-).
- Chair, Postharvest/Food Engineering/Food Science Strategic Planning Team for the College of Agriculture and Home Economics, WSU (2000-01).
- Food Engineering Area Leader, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSU (2000-05, 08-).
- Chair, WSU Food Processing Pilot Plant Committee (2000-01).
- Chair, Scholarship Committee, Department of Biological Systems Engineering (1997-01).
- Advisor of Biological Systems Engineering Student Club, WSU (1996-1998).
- Representative and Co-ordinator of South Dakota State University to the EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) Food Processing Center. (SDSU was one of the five supporting universities for the center) (1994-95).
- Liaison between Acadia University and Agriculture and Agr-Food Canada Kentville Research Station Fruit and Vegetable Pilot Plant (1991-1994).
- Search Committee for Associate Vice Provost of International Research and Education, WSU (2004-05).
- Graduate Studies Committee, College of Engineering and Architecture, WSU (2004-05).
- Promotion and Tenure Advisory Committee, College of Agriculture and Home Economics, WSU (2002-05).
- WSU Engineering College NSF/MRI large equipment proposal review committee (2000).
- WSU Food Processing Pilot Plant Committee (1997- present).
- Total Quality Management Working Group of the College of Engineering at South Dakota State University (SDSU) (1995).
- Department representative on the College of Engineering Phonathon Committee, SDSU (1995).
- Committee for the student academic achievement awards in the College of Pure and Applied Sciences at Acadia University, Canada (1993-94).
- Secretary for the Interdepartmental Workshop Advisory Committee in the College of Pure and Applied Sciences at Acadia University (1991-94).
- Pullman Chinese Cultural Center (1995-present; President, 2001-02)
- The Board of Directors of Pullman Chinese School (1995-present; Chair, 2001-02).
- Judge of regional and provincial science fairs in Nova Scotia, Canada (1991-94).
1. Published Articles – see a separate link with pdf attachments
2. Published Books and Book Chapters
- 14. Tang, J., Wang, S., Mitcham. E.J., Laurie, E., 2007. Heat Treatments for Postharvest Pest Control: Theory and Practice. CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxon, UK (349 pages).
- 13. Tang, J. and Chan, TV. 2007. Microwave and radio frequency in sterilization and pasteurization applications. In Heat Transfer Advances in Food Processing. Yanniots, E.S., and Sunden, B. (Edit) Wessex Institute of Technology (WIT) Press, Southampton, UK, pp101-157.
- 12. Tang, J*. and Wang, J. 2005. Advanced thermal treatments for insect pest control in fruits and nuts - principle and applications. In Crops – Growth, Quality and Biotechnology. Pirtta Halttu-Dris (Ed.). WFL Publisher, Helsinski, Finland, pp 967-989.
- 11. Tang, J. 2005. Dielectric properties of food. In Microwave Processing of Food. H. Schubert and M. Regier (Ed.), CRC Press, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, London, pp. 22-40.
- 10. Komarov, V., Wang, S., Tang, J.*, 2005 Permittivity and Measurement, Wiley Encyclopedia on RF and Microwave Engineering. Vol.4, pp. 3693-3711.
- 9. Tang, J.,* Wang, Y.F., Chow Ting Chan, T.V. 2004. Radio frequency heating in food processing. In Novel Food Processing Technologies. Gustavo V. Barbosa-Canovas; M. Soledad Tapia; M. Pilar Cano (eds.), Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 501-524.
- 8. Wang, J. and Tang, J*. 2004. Radio frequency post-harvest quarantine and phytosanitary treatments to control insect pest in fruits and nuts. In Production Practices and Quality Assessment of Food Crops. Vol. 4. Postharvest Treatment and Technology. R. dris and S.M. Jain (eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands, pp.17-53.
- 7. Akarapu, R., Li, B.Q. and Tang, J. 2004. An integrated model for microwave thermal processing, in Multiphase Phenomena and CFD Modeling and Simulation in Materials Processing L. Nastec and B. Q. Li (Eds.), TMS, pp. 43-54.
- 6. Tang, J.*, and Yang, T. 2003. Dehydrated vegetables: principles and systems. Handbook of Vegetable Preservation and Processing. (ed.) Hui, Y.H., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York. Pages 335-372.
- 5. Feng, H., Shen, Q., and Tang, J*. 2003. Drum drying, in Encyclopaedia of Agricultural and Food Engineering, D. R. Heldma (e.d.). Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pages 211 – 214.
- 4. Wang, S., Tang, J.*, and Younce, F. 2003. Temperature measurement in food processing, In Encyclopaedia of Agricultural and Food Engineering, D. R. Heldman (e.d.). Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pages 987–993.
- 3. Feng, H., and Tang, J*. 2003. Heat and mass transfer modelling in microwave and spouted bed combined drying of particulate food products, in Transport Phenomena in Food Processing, (eds.) Jorge Welti-Chanes, Jorge F. Velez-Ruiz, Gustavo V. Barbosa-Canovas, CRC Press, New York, pages 521-538.
- 2. Tang, J.*, Feng, H., and Lau, M. 2002. Microwave heating in food processing, in Advances in Bioprocessing Engineering, (eds.) Young, X., Tang, J., World Scientific Publisher, New Jersey, pages 1-43
- 1. Young, X. and Tang, J*. 2002. Advances in Bioprocessing Engineering, Vol. 1 of Advances in Agricultural Science and Technology Series. World Scientific Publisher, New Jersey, pp 172.
- Tang, J., Liu, F., Pathak, S., Eves, G. 2006. ApparAtus and method for heating objectes with MICROWAVES, US PATENT No. 7,119,313 (filed 09-04, Application Number 10/937,547, revised Nov. 2005, approved Oct., 10, 2006).
- Barrios, JDJ., Tang, J., Swanson, B. 2006 Extrusion-cooking of high fiber products based on legume flours. Official application filed through USDA ARS Western Regional Center at Albany, CA, Dec. 16, 2006, serial No. 11/641,318.
- Barrios, JDJ., Patil, RT, Tang, J., Swanson, B. 2006. Method for the production of functional food type products as fortified potato based French fries developed by conventional, hypobaric and supercritical fluid extraction. Patent Disclosure to USDA ARS (No. 0033,06).
Dr. Juming Tang
Associate Chair BSysE &
Distinguished Chair Food Engineering
Biological Systems Engineering
Washington State University
L. J. Smith 204, P.O. Box 64120
Pullman, Washington 99164-6120
Heading using the h3 tag